Conference call on FaceTime is really exciting and fun. You can start a FaceTime conference call with a large group of about 32 persons. Conference call functions as an audio or video call in which three or more people converse at the same time. And you can do this using your iOS, iPadOS, or macOS device without buying additional software or tools. It is pretty simple really.
This article explains how you can set up and make FaceTime conference calls (also called group calls) on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
Conference Call on FaceTime
FaceTime for group calls can be so fun for Apple users. However, to use FaceTime, users will need to be running iOS 12.1.4 or later on an iPhone 6S or a more recent model or an iPod touch (seventh generation). If you’re using an iPad, it should be an iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad (fifth generation), iPad mini 4. Or a more recent model of any of those devices, running iPadOS.
All that being said, if you have not tried FaceTime, but want to use it, here are some steps to get started and join group FaceTime calls on your Mac and iPhone.
FaceTime Conference Call Requirements
To make a conference call on FaceTime there are some requirements you must meet. You can add up to 31 persons including yourselves to commence conference calling on FaceTime.
Also, all of the participants must own an Apple device, specifically: iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro or later, iPad Air 2 or later, iPad mini 4 or later, iPad (5th generation) or later, or iPod touch (7th generation) or later, running iOS 12.1.4 or later, or iPadOS. You can check your software version and update your device by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
Mac computers with macOS Mojave 10.14.3 or later. You can check your version by clicking the Apple menu and About This Mac.
Obviously, all participants must have FaceTime. If you deleted the app, you can reinstall it by going to the App Store. Other users (Android users, Windows users, etc) cannot join.
How to Start Conference Calls on iPhone, iPad, Or iPad Touch
There are two ways to start a conference call. You can initiate a call from the FaceTime app. You can also initiate a call from the Messages app.
With the FaceTime app, you can start a call using the FaceTime app. Use the steps below to follow:
- Launch open the FaceTime app
- Navigate to the left-hand side of the screen and click on the (+) add icon
- A new window will appear named “New FaceTime”.
- In the blank space tag “To” begin to add participants, add with names, phone numbers, or emails. You can add contacts from your phone.
- As you continue, a lust suggesting your contacts will pop up. And the contact list some will appear in blue while the other in gray. You can only add the ones with blue. Blue contacts means that their devices and software support conference calk on FaceTime.
- A host can add up to 32 participants
- Once you’re through adding participants, begin the conference conversation by tapping either the video or audio button.
Using the Messages App
Also, you can start a FaceTime conference call using the Messages app. See the steps below:
- Open the Messages app on your device.
- Create a group message:
- You can also start a FaceTime conference call using the Messages app. Here is how:
- Tap the new message icon, located in the upper right-hand corner. Open an already existing group conversation
- Key in the participants in the “To” field.
- Add participants from your contact list by tapping the (+) button
- Click on the avatars located at the top of the conversation
- And tap the FaceTime icon
How to Answer a Conference Call
If you have to receive a conference call here is how to do it. Here is how you can answer it on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- You will receive a notification.
- Click on the notification.
- You can also join the call from the Messages app and FaceTime app.
How to Start a Conference Call on Your Mac
Also, you can initiate a conference FaceTime call on your Mac. Just like the iOS and iPadOS devices, you can use the Messages app to start a call. You can only use the FaceTime app to make the call. Follow these steps below:
Use FaceTime on your Mac
- On your Mac, open the FaceTime app.
- Using the search field, enter names, emails, or numbers of people you want to call.
- You can enter up to 32 people.
- Tap the Video or Audio button to place your FaceTime conference call.
Use Messages on your Mac
- Open the Messages app on your Mac.
- Select the group message.
- Click Details
- Click the video or phone button to place your audio or video conference call
How to answer a conference call on your Mac
- You will receive a notification. Use the notification to answer (or decline) the call.
- You can also answer a call in the Messages app.
- You can also answer in the FaceTime app.
FaceTime Conference Calls Not Working? Troubleshooting:
- General tips if FaceTime is not working.
- On your device, make sure that FaceTime is turned on. You can check this by going to Settings > FaceTime.
- See this article if you see a Poor Connection message.
- Restart your device.
- Make sure that your camera and microphone are working (see this article if your Mac’s microphone is not working).
- Make sure that your device is running the latest version of iOS, iPadOS or macOS:
- iOS or iPadOS: Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- macOS: Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update.
- Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi or cellular connection. Here is how you can troubleshoot your connection problems:
- macOS Catalina Wi-Fi problems.
- iPad Wi-Fi problems.
- iPhone Wi-Fi problems.
- Mac slow Wi-Fi.
- Make sure that Date & Time settings are set correctly on your device:
- iOS or iPadOS: Settings > General > Date & Time and then enable Set Automatically.
- macOS: Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Date & Time > and then check the “set date and time automatically” box.
You will need to click the lock icon and enter your password to be able to make changes.. With these steps, you will have exclusive fun making conference call on FaceTime.
For more reading, check here.
You May Also Like
- FaceTime App for iPhone – Facetime | FaceTime Login
- FaceTime Call – Setup FaceTime Call on iPhone | iPhone FaceTime Call
- How to 3 Way FaceTime: How to Make Group Calls On The Facetime App
- FaceTime For Group Calls – Join a Group FaceTime Call | FaceTime App
- FaceTime for Android – FaceTime for Android App | Setup FaceTime App