Do you know how to make a conference call on Skype? One of the best features of Skype that everyone can use is its conference call. With this feature, you can talk to several of your Skype friends all at the same time.
Conference Call on Skype
The Conference call is available even on the free version of the application and is very easy to use. Conference Call on Skype is perfect for those offshore company meetings, or just simple friends and family talk.
Conference Call on Skype Steps
Below are the required steps in making a conference call via Skype.
Log into your Skype account
Click the blue “S” icon from your computer’s desktop to launch the app. Enter your Skype username and password on the allocated text fields, and click the “Sign In” button you see on the window.
If you don’t have a Skype account yet, click the “Create an Account” and provide your basic personal information, a valid email address, and your desired password to get one.
Start a conversation
After signing in, click the name of one of your contacts that you want to include in the conference call from the Contact List, which is at the left menu panel of the Skype window. This will show the message panel on the center of the Skype window.
If you have any previous chat with this person, this will also show on the message panel.
Add people to the conversation
On the upper portion of the message panel (right beside the picture of your Skype contact) you’ll see a plus (+) icon. Click this icon and select “Add People” from the drop-down list. This will open the “Add People” dialog window.
On the “Add People” window, click on the name of the contacts you want to include on the conference call from the list displayed on the left-hand side, and click the “Select” button.
Once you’ve selected all the contacts you want to include on the conference call, click the “Add” button on the lower right corner of the Add People dialog window to finalize your picks.
Start the call
Once everyone you want to talk to is included in the conversation, click the “Call” button on top of the message panel (right beside the picture of your Skype contact) to start the conference call. All you have to do now is to wait for everyone to answer your call.
Answering a conference call is optional. The conference can commence even if there are a few who will not answer the call.
Ending the call
Once you’re done talking with each other, you can end the call by clicking the red phone icon at the bottom of the Skype call screen.
Note that if the one who started the conference ended the call, everyone will be disconnected. On the other hand, if only a participant disconnects from the call, the conference will continue as long as the one who started it doesn’t terminate the conversation.
A conference call requires at least three participants. You need to have at least two online friends before you can start a conference call. If the contact you want to include in the conference is not online, he or she can still join in but will not be able to participate in the call. You can only do a conference call on Skype through a computer.
Conference Calling on Windows Desktop
- Log on to your Skype account.
- Click on the “Group” icon at the top of your contact list. On the empty group area, drag and drop the names of contacts that you want to include in a conference call.
- Once all contacts are added, simply click on the “Call Group” button to initiate the conference call.
- Do you want to turn the conversation into a group video call? You will need to have a Skype Premium subscription. During the call, group members can also send instant messages and files.
Conference Calling on Windows RT
- Start Skype and log on to your account.
- Select the + icon and click “Add Participants.”
- On the “Add Participants” screen that opens, start selecting contacts you want to include in the conference call.
- Once everyone is added, click or tap “Add.”
- Click or tap the “Call” icon to initiate the conference call.
During a call, you can go back to the home screen to view recent conversations or other people in your contacts. You can send instant messages or dial extensions.
Conference Calling on Mac
- Log on to your Skype account.
- Click on “File” and then “New Conversation.”
- From the new Untitled conversation that will appear, click on the “Add” button and start selecting contacts you wish to include in a conference call. Another option is to use the Add people box, where you start typing names of contacts and then click Add or simply press Enter. You can only add up to 24 contacts.
- Once all contacts are added, you can either click video call or the call button to initiate a Skype conference call.
- When you need to drop individuals from the conference call, hover the mouse over a person’s image, click on the arrow next to the name and select “Hang Up.” This feature is only available to the host or whoever set up the conference call
- To completely end a conference call, click on the “End Call” button.
- The group is automatically saved to the sidebar in case you need to use it again.
- You have the option to rename the group for easy recall.
During a call, you can send contacts, files, and instant messages or share your screen. You also have the option to customize the call, such as opening and closing the sidebar, turning the video on and off, or putting the microphone on mute, whenever needed.
- Conference Call: How To Set Up And Make A Conference Call
- Conference Call on Android: How To Set Up A Conference Call On Your Device
- How to 3 Way FaceTime: How to Make Group Calls On The Facetime App
- Conference Call on Google Voice: How To Setup a Google Conference Call For Free
- Conference Call on iPhone: How to Manage a Conference Call On An iPhone