It may surprise you to know that you can learn how replace to replace a bad timing chain from this article. In place of a timing chain, some vehicles have a timing belt. These two still perform the same functions in a car.
What is a timing chain? What does it do in a car? What are the symptoms of a bad timing chain? All these questions would be answered in details in this article. So, you should kindly read to the end.
How to Replace Timing Chain
There are so many components in the engine of your vehicle. The timing chain is needed for your engine to function well. So, what is a timing chain?
The timing chain is a link of metal that drives other components such as the fuel pump, alternator, oil pump, balance shaft etc. In addition to this, the timing chain controls the intake and exhaust valves of a vehicle’s engine.
There are pistons in the engine which drives the crankshaft. The motion of this crankshaft operates the chain which in turn operates the valves. The timing chain coordinates the valve and the piston.
Timing Chain Symptoms
The symptoms here mean the signs you should watch out for when you think your timing chain is bad. The symptoms of a bad timing chain include:
- “Check engine lights” displayed on the dashboard. There are a lot of sensors on your car. When there is an abnormality in the function of the car, these sensors cause a warning light on the dashboard.
When you notice this light, you can use the hand-held code scanner on your car to detect the cause of the light.
- Visible cracks on the timing chain. The timing chain is a set of metals. when you do a physical check on the chain and it shows physical signs of breakage, you need to replace it.
- Stretched timing chain. This is because as the chain gets old, it wears out.
- Rattling sounds while driving. Sometimes, you may notice an unusual sound when you open the hood of your car. Also, this sound may increase with the speed of the engine.
- Particles of metals in the engine oil of the car.
- Misfiring engine.
- Increased consumption of gas.
If the case is really bad, the engine of your vehicle would be unable to start. If you notice any of these signs, you should book an appointment to replace the timing chain.
However, you would learn how to change the timing chain of your car by yourself. So, keep on reading.
Timing Chain Cost
How much does a timing chain cost? If this question is running through your mind, you are reading the right article. The timing chain costs between $150 to $250.
This price varies due to different make and models of cars. You can purchase a good and quality Timing chain from www.amazon.com.
Timing chain Replacement Guide
With the guide in this article, you can replace the timing chain on any vehicle. follow the guide below carefully to change your engine’s bad timing chain:
- Before you begin the operation, your vehicle’s engine has to be cool.
- To achieve the above, park your car and switch off the ignition.
- Put the vehicle in gear as this would prevent your tires from rolling while working.
- Engage the handbrakes in the car.
- Using a jack, lift up your car from the front.
- Ensure the space beneath the car is wide enough for you to pass through.
- Open the hood of the car and locate the battery.
- Disconnect the wire from the negative terminal of the battery.
- With the help of your repair manual, get familiar with the parts close to the timing chain.
- Remove the accessory belts and other components lying above the timing chain cover (the fan belt, power steering belt, hose etc.)
- After removing the accessories, remove the timing chain cover carefully.
- Locate the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.
- With the white chalk or marker, mark them so that you would be able to identify them.
- Align the timing points according to the procedure outlined in your repair manual.
- As a result of this, the number one cylinder will be set to the Top dead center (TDC).
- Carefully remove the tension bolt on the belt tensioner pulley.
- Having done this, the timing chain would come off.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley and ensure that the crankshaft sprocket is in place.
- Remove the Timing chain after this.
- To replace the old Timing chain, place it around the Crankshaft sprocket.
- With the guide on the repair manual, replace the crankshaft pulley.
- Replace the sprocket also. (As you do this, make sure you replace the crankshaft pulley and sprocket in alignment with the marks you made).
- Check if the chain has a correct pressure by turning it about the quarter of a turn using your thumb and index finger.
- Carefully re-install the cover of the timing chain.
- Place other accessories and components where you removed them from.
- Re-connect the wire to the negative battery terminal (the part labelled negative).
After this, you can test drive your car to ensure that you replaced the timing chain correctly.
- Flipkart Plus – What makes Flipkart Plus Exceptional?
- How to Use Microsoft Excel – Amazing Things you can do with Microsoft Excel
- Zomato App – How to Download the Zomato App
- Google Assistant App – How Do I Download Google Assistant App?
- Steps to Activate AMC Theatres – How to Activate AMC Theatres on Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, LG Smart TV, Roku, and Google Chromecast
- Roku Account Without Credit Card – How to Sign up for an Account on Roku without a Credit Card
- Amazon Fire TV Stick – How to update the Fire TV Stick