You can only know if the Serpentine belt in your vehicle is broken by the noise it makes. If you want to learn what it sounds like when your serpentine belt is worn out or broken, you are reading the right article. In addition to this, you would learn more about the serpentine belt. So, kindly read this article to the end.
Serpentine Belt Noise
You may be reading this article without the knowledge of what a serpentine belt is. If so, you have no need to worry, this article has got you covered! So, what is a serpentine belt?
A serpentine belt is a long belt that is used to drive multiple components in the engine such as the Air pump, Air conditioning, Alternator, Automotive engine and other surrounding components. To prevent this belt from slipping off, there are several large pulleys to hold it in place. Thus, giving this belt the serpentine shape.
In some cars, there are more than one serpentine belts. If any of this belt is bad, the primary symptom is squealing noises from the belt as well as difficulty in steering. To learn more about the Symptoms of a bad serpentine belt, keep on reading.
Bad Serpentine Belt Symptoms
The reason why you hear a squealing noise coming from your serpentine belt may be because the belt is bad, damaged or worn out. However, you need to confirm if the Serpentine belt in your vehicle is bad.
The bad serpentine belt symptoms here mean the signs that indicates that your serpentine belt is bad. These symptoms include:
- Warning lights displayed on your dashboard. In modern cars, there are sensors and the work of the sensors is to detect and indicate that there is a fault with the car. The alternator is kept running by the serpentine belt. When the serpentine belt is broken, the battery discharges because the alternator stops working.
The battery light on your vehicle’s dashboard goes on because the battery becomes low with time.
- Difficulty in steering. When you find it hard to steer your vehicle, your serpentine belt may be bad. This is because this belt powers the power steering pump which makes steering easier.
- Faulty Air Conditioner. The serpentine belt of any car also provides power for the Air conditioner pump. When the serpentine belt is bad or out of place, the AC pump would not be powered. Hence, the Air conditioner in your car may stop working completely.
- Overheating engine and cooling system. In cars where the serpentine belt powers the cooling system, a bad serpentine belt would stop the circulation of the coolant. When the coolant stops its work, the engine would start overheating and this can lead to other complications such as a blown head gasket and a knocked engine.
- Lastly, you may notice visible cracks and signs of wear out when you observe the serpentine belt in your car. This is also a sign of a bad serpentine belt.
Having known the symptoms of a bad serpentine belt, you would be able to tell if the serpentine belt in your vehicle needs a replacement.
What Happens When Serpentine Belt Breaks While Driving
Though the serpentine belt may last through-out the lifetime of the car. Certain factors such as the load and wear out may cause it to go bad over time. However, you should check the manufacturer’s manual to know how often you should replace the serpentine belt.
When the serpentine belt breaks while driving, there would be a loss of power steering in the car and this would make the steering heavy. Since the serpentine belt powers the cooling system, the cooling system would stop working leading to the engine overheating.
Lastly, a broken serpentine belt would stop the alternator from charging the car battery and other electrical accessories and with this, the battery would run down.
Having gotten the knowledge of what happens when the serpentine belt breaks while driving, you should park your car in a safe place when you notice the squealing serpentine belt noise and call for your vehicle to be towed to a mechanic.
You should note that the Serpentine belt is one of the key components of your vehicle’s engine block as it helps transfer power to many parts. A faulty serpentine belt would affect the proper functioning of your car. Hence, when you notice the serpentine belt noise coming from your car, you should replace or repair it.
Serpentine Belt Noise Spray
A squeaky noise from the serpentine belt in your vehicle does not necessarily mean it needs a replacement. The serpentine belt noise spray lubricates the serpentine belt and also improves it function.
To purchase the serpentine belt noise spray, you can visit the Amazon official web page by clicking on this link- www.amazon.com. When the page opens, you can use the search bar at the top of your screen to search for “Serpentine belt noise spray”.
You should know that the Serpentine belt spray is like a first aid for the serpentine belt and this does not cover up for the need to change your bad serpentine belt.
- Google Blogger – Google Blogger App – How to Setup a Google Blog
- Record Google Meet Meeting – How to Record Google Meet Meeting
- Radiator Sealant – Best Radiator Sealant | Radiator Sealant Reviews
- Download Zedge Free Ringtones – Free Ringtones on Android and iOS | Zedge
- Google Business – What is Google Business | Why you need a Business Account