Does your car’s serpentine belt need a replacement? If yes, you are reading the right article. What is a serpentine belt? What is the serpentine belt used for in a car? What are the signs of a bad serpentine belt? If these questions are running through your mind right now, this article has got you covered!
The serpentine belt also known as the drive belt is a very important belt in the engine. This belt runs through many components in the car such as the Alternator, power steering, Air conditioner, Air pump, water pump and other peripheral automotive parts.
Serpentine Belt Replacement
The work of the serpentine belt is to power the engine parts it drives while the engine runs. The serpentine belt powers the alternator which charges the car battery and other electrical components of the car. It also powers the cooling system of the car preventing the engine from overheating.
Having known what the serpentine belt is, you may be wondering “Where is the serpentine belt located”. The serpentine belt in a car is located at the front of the engine and is held in place by several large pulleys.
The serpentine belt is named so because of the shape it assumes when it wounds around the parts of the engine. When you notice a squealing or slapping noise from under your car, this could be an indication that your serpentine belt is worn out, bad or damaged and needs a replacement.
How to know When to Replace Serpentine Belt
Though the serpentine belt is built to last for a longtime, tension and other factors could cause the belt to break down thus necessitating a replacement.
There are some signs that indicates that your serpentine belt needs a replacement. To learn more about this, keep on reading.
Signs of a Bad Serpentine Belt
The signs of a bad serpentine belt are also known as the symptoms of a bad serpentine belt. Apart from a squeaking sound, there are other signs which indicates that your serpentine belt needs a replacement. These signs include:
- Warning lights displayed on your dashboard. There are sensors in your car and the work of these sensors is to detect and indicate a fault with the car. The alternator is kept running by the serpentine belt and when the serpentine belt goes bad, the battery runs down because the alternator stops working.
The battery light on your vehicle’s dashboard goes on because the battery becomes low with time.
- Heavy Steering. When you find it hard to steer your vehicle, the serpentine belt may be the cause. This happens because the serpentine belt drives the power steering pump which makes steering easier.
- Overheating engine and cooling system. In most cars, the serpentine belt powers the cooling system. When the coolant stops its work, the engine would start overheating and this can lead to other complications such as a blown head gasket and a knocked engine.
- Faulty Air Conditioner. In some modern cars, the serpentine belt powers the Air pump. When the serpentine belt is bad or out of place, the AC pump would stop working and this affects the Air conditioner also.
- Lastly, you should locate the serpentine belt in your car and observe it physically. When you notice cracks and signs of wear out, your serpentine belt needs a replacement.
With this, you can go ahead to book an appointment with your mechanic to replace the serpentine belt of your car if it needs to be replaced.
Serpentine Belt Replacement Cost
Do you want to know the cost for a serpentine belt replacement? If yes, this article has got you covered. The cost for replacing serpentine belt varies and this depends on the make and model of your car and also the service fee you have to pay to your mechanic.
With this, you need to know the car serpentine belt cost and then contact your mechanic to know the labor fee. To learn more about the serpentine belt cost, keep on reading.
How Much does a Serpentine Belt Cost?
If this question is running through your mind now, you are in the right place. The cost of a new serpentine belt is between $20-$30 and this price varies based on the auto store where you make your purchases from.
Serpentine Belt Replacement Near Me
Sometimes, the replacement belt on your car may go bad when driving and this is quite risky. If you are stranded and don’t know how to locate a serpentine belt replacement store near you, you should follow the guide in this article.
How to Locate a Serpentine Belt Replacement Near Me
Provided you have an access to the internet, you can follow the steps outlined below to locate an Auto service center near you.
- Open the web browser on a device connected to the internet.
- On the search field, enter the phrase “Serpentine belt replacement near me”.
- On the opened search result page, you can go through the list of Serpentine belt replacement centers.
- Choose the replacement center that best suits you.
- Enter your “Zip code” in the required field.
- Click on the search icon.
With this, the serpentine belt replacement centers near you would be displayed on your screen. You should make sure the location on your device is turned on as this ensures a more accurate search result.
- Google Blogger – Google Blogger App – How to Setup a Google Blog
- Record Google Meet Meeting – How to Record Google Meet Meeting
- Radiator Sealant – Best Radiator Sealant | Radiator Sealant Reviews
- Download Zedge Free Ringtones – Free Ringtones on Android and iOS | Zedge
- Google Business – What is Google Business | Why you need a Business Account