It’s always a fun and exciting experience when you host your friends at home watching movies online. However, to watch movie online with friends and sometimes family members revive the bond that you all share leaving lasting memories.
Watch Movie Online With Friends
Here are several apps you can use to host movie nights with friends online, along with step-by-step instructions on how to start watching. To use these apps, you will need your own subscription for each service, and everyone watching will have to be signed onto their own account. These extensions work on top of your existing subscription to sync the videos with your friends. These sites don’t provide non-subscribers with free viewing.
Netflix Party syncs up your streams with those of your friends and adds a live chat on one side of the screen. The app is only for use with Netflix and is only available for Chrome.
How To Host a Netflix Party
- Download the extension
- Open up Netflix and start playing a video.
- The Netflix Party extension icon next to your address bar should change from gray to red. Click on it.
- A window will pop up instructing you to “Create a Netflix Party.” You have the option to either give yourself total control over the playback or leave it open to everyone. Click “Start the party.”
- Another window will pop up with a link. Click “Copy URL” and share it with your friends. If you need to, you can find this link again by clicking the Netflix Party extension icon.
- Netflix Party will automatically give you an icon. By clicking on the icon, you can change it (there are a few alternatives) as well as your nickname.
To join an existing Netflix Party
- Click on the link.
- Click on the Netflix Party icon.
Amazon Watch Party
Amazon Prime Video now has a Watch Party app for many Prime videos. Up to 100 people can watch at once; all participants must be Prime members. Currently, it is only available on desktop and not supported for Safari and Internet Explorer browsers. In this beta version, only the host can pause, fast forward, or rewind.
To host an Amazon Watch Party:
- Go to the detail page of your chosen video and look for the “Watch Party” button next to the “Watchlist” button. If it’s there, you’re golden; click on the button.
- In the right-hand column, decide what name you want to use within the chat and enter it. Click on “Create Watch Party.”
- The video will be in the center; on the right will be your chat area and settings tab. Under settings, you can copy and share your Watch Party link or end the party.
To join an Amazon Watch Party:
- Click on the link your friend sent you.
- You’ll be redirected to Prime Video and will be asked to enter a username. Once you’ve done that, click on “Join Watch Party.”
Metastream allows you to live chat while watching videos on a range of platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Twitch, and Crunchyroll. (Metastream will open Netflix in a separate window). The app is still in beta, so there are some kinks for example, we experienced some issues using it with Hulu on Chrome; it’s recommended to use Firefox when watching Hulu, which worked better.
How To Host a Metastream Watch Party
- Download the extension for Firefox or Chrome. The extension will be able to read and change data on websites you visit.
- Navigate to metastream.
- Type in a display name and click “Get Started.”
- Click “Start Session” on the next screen.
- Click the “Invite” button on the left to get a link to share; click “Copy” and send it to your friends. In the same window, you can also make the session public, private, or offline, and change the number of users allowed (you can have an unlimited number of users). Closeout of that window.
- Your friends will click on that link to join the session. When they join, you’ll see a box on the left with your name and theirs; you’ll have to click the green checkmark by their name to let them in. To grant them permission to add videos and change playback, click on the three dots next to their name and then click “Toggle DJ.”
- The Metastream screen can be a little busy. You can make things clearer by setting up your chat to play on the right-hand side. Click the three dots on the far right of the bar at the bottom of the home screen. Click the “Chat” button. When the chat window opens, click the rectangle icon in the top right corner of that window.
- If you click on the cog icon, you can pick an avatar and change your username.
To watch something, you have a few options. Click the “Add Media” button in the center of the main screen and then you can either:
- Paste the URL for the video in the bar either at the top or the bottom of the screen and then click “Add to Session.”
- Click one of the video sources in the middle of the screen. That will take you to the home screen for that source. Find the video you want, then click the “Add to Session” button in the top right corner.
Doing either of these things will put that video in a queue, so you can set up a list of things you want to watch.
More Related Stories
- Movies Coming Out In 2021 – Movies Released in 2021 | Movies To Watch…
- Movies Released In 2020 – Movies to watch 2020 | 2020 Movies You Can…
- Netflix – Watch Netflix Movies Online | Movies to Watch on Netflix
- How to Watch Netflix Movies – Watch Netflix Movies for Free | Netflix Movies…
- 32 Of The Best Movies To Watch On Disney Plus – List of Movies…